Background: We described, in a large sample of patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) and GFR ≤ 60 mL/min/1.73 m2(with or without albuminuria), the differences in the clinical features associated with the two different chronic kidney disease phenotypes and we investigated, in a subset of patients, the modulating role of albuminuria on kidney disease progression. Methods: Clinical data of 1395 patients with T1DM were extracted from electronic medical records. Results: Albuminuria was detected in 676 (48.5%) patients, with the remaining 719 (51.5%) patients having normoalbuminuric renal impairment. Those with albuminuria showed an evident worse cardiovascular risk profile as compared to patients with normoalbuminuria. A subgroup of 582 patients was followed up over a 4-year period. One hundred and twenty five patients (21.5%) showed a loss of eGFR > 30%. The proportion of patients reaching the renal outcome was significantly higher among those with baseline albuminuria as compared to patients with normoalbuminuria (P < 0.0001). At the multivariate logistic analysis microalbuminuria, macroalbuminuria and proliferative retinopathy were the only parameters independently associated to eGFR reduction. Conclusions: The proportion of T1DM patients with normoalbuminuria renal impairment is high (about 50%). These patients have a slower eGFR decline as compared to that observed in patients with albuminuria renal impairment.
|Titolo:||Normoalbuminuric kidney impairment in patients with T1DM: Insights from annals initiative|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2018|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||01.01 - Articolo su rivista|
File in questo prodotto:
|2018 Diab Metab Syndrom Normoalbuminuric kidney impairment in patients with T1DM OLM.pdf||Documento in versione editoriale||Open Access Visualizza/Apri|