Background: 239 pregnancies occurred in 1136 women who had undergone biliopancreatic diversion (BPD). Methods: There were 73 abortions, and 14 pregnancies are presently in their course. The 152 term pregnancies (six twins) occurred in 129 women 2-173 months (mean 42.7) after BPD. Mean age and current excess weight were 31.4 years (20-42) and 29.1% (-6.9-78.2), and mean excess weight loss was 72.9% (30.4-110.5). Results: Mean weight gain during pregnancy was 6.2 kg (-21-25). In 32 patients (21%), parenteral nutritional support was needed. In all the other patients (79%), the usual supplementations were given. Of the newborns, 122 were delivered at term (84.7%) with a mean weight of 2842.4 g (1760-4600 g) and a mean length of 48.5 cm (43-59 cm), while the 22 preterm babies (15.3%) weighed 2151.1 g (1400-3850 g) and had a length of 44.6 cm (33-56 cm). Forty infants (27.8%) were small for gestational age but 17 of them weighed more than 2500 g. Eleven twins (one abortion at 26th week) were also delivered, with a mean weight of 2088.6 g (1200-3100 g) and a mean length of 45.6 cm (35-50 cm). Delivery was spontaneous in 85 instances (56%), while vacuum extractor was used in one, and 66 cesarean sections were performed. There were two birth malformations, one infant died after surgery for meconium obstruction and two died from unknown causes. Of the 129 women, 35 had been infertile before BPD. Conclusions: Disappearance of infertility and decrease of pregnancy risk are to be considered among the beneficial effects of weight reduction following BPD.
Scheda prodotto non validato
Attenzione! I dati visualizzati non sono stati sottoposti a validazione da parte dell'ateneo
|Titolo:||Pregnancies in an 18-year follow-up after biliopancreatic diversion|
|Data di pubblicazione:||1995|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||01.01 - Articolo su rivista|